1 Apr 2008

BEST Western




Wowee. Managua airport is definitely not Lima. I was expecting the same huge quantity of people pushing and offering and shouting, kind of like the Beatles were in town. Much quieter... And the whole thing was made ludicrously easy by the fact I had a reservation at the expensive hotel, meaning I was shepherded through customs anyway. I do however think even I could have managed to walk across the street to the hotel instead of being taken in the comedically short shuttle bus... bags in the boot, wait 10 minutes for the other three guests, drive further into the car park, round, and out of the security gates... and pull up immediately on the other side of the road. But after 20 hours of sitting, queuing, taking my shoes off and explaining my reasons for travel I was happy for the lovely treatment!


Over a beer by the pool (this is temporary luxury... i can´t afford 50 quid every night for 5 months...!) I heard from Maggie Jo a bit more about Yali. They are a relatively new cooperative, who have recently joined the nearby coffee union in Miraflor (where this whole project started). They are also a cattle cooperative, and their first project was for artificial insemination to improve their cow stock. Interesting. I shall come back with ideas for Mr Fearnley Whittingstall... I´m off up to Esteli this afternoon, and then further up to Yali tomorrow to find out more, and then before the weekend will have met 2 other teachers from Jinotega and Matagalpa to hear how their teaching is going. By monday I´ll be in Matagalpa doing Spanish lessons, with loads more knowledge about what´s going on... see you then!

Pictures are of the hotel dining area and pool... just checking out my sexy memory card usb thingy. it works luke!
x




10 comments:

sudders said...

If your grandad knew what a blog was and was half a quick witted as I, he would probaly quip in agreement that it is indeed BEST to go for a WESTESN hotel.

I crack myself up sometimes.

James said...

we're holidaying with you from now on!! bit rich for my tastes but my glamorous wife would love it!!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps I should have decided to come out after all - seems too good to be true. Just come back from Feast of Fiddles at Nettlebed and should go to bed (Almost as funny as Luke!)

Glad it's all working to plan.

Lots of love

Daddy

Anonymous said...

Wow, managua airport and hotels have come a long way since my visit in 1986! You go girl, get the luxury wherever you can. Did you know that Baltimore's sister city is near Esteli at San Juan de Limay, so if you head up that way, send my regards from Baltimore. Last time I was in Esteli, the contras had just bombed the town's water supply and we could hear gunfire on the outskirts of town. I hope that things are a bit more settled now.....look forward to hearing all about coffee and more bad jokes from everyone! Lots of love, Kim

Anonymous said...

P.S. We made out targets!

And Natalie's having a strop about the rubbish being left outside the front door today!

The Capacity Building Team

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the luxury while it lasts, lovey.

Lisa
X

Anonymous said...

wfyEnjoy the luxury while it lasts, lovey.

Lisa
X

Anonymous said...

Hope all continues to go well! You've probably seen more local colour now from a bus.....
Thinking of you and working on a daily 'diary' to send as an email every few days. Much love, Deidre.

Cath said...

We all know that East (not West)is best.
The Tower Hamlets Posse!

Anonymous said...

Did you not know any Spanish before embarking on such a big adventure...?
Sounds really amazing, if a bit challenging sometimes. After my short trip to Cuba, I'm tempted to do something similar. Kerry