8 Apr 2008

Monday. I feel like Louis Theroux...

After a bit of nervousness on Sunday, I settled into the homestay okay. The process was helped by God, who it seems in these parts has a penchant for loud fireworks. Jeannette, mother for the next 2 weeks, told me they were for a specific celebration at the local church and a procession too. I popped off to have a look... I can report that it was a fairly plain affair compared to south american and spanish standards, ordinary looking people following a pick-up with a picture of Jesus in it. And - at the back- the DISCO MOBIL guy in his truck blasting out hymns, who only the day before I had seen doing the same around town with adverts for colgate or something! Diversify your client base, that's the ticket.

After my first lesson today I decided to follow up a suggestion from a previous worker that the Manager of CECOCAFEN really wants to practice speaking English. She trades with the US and Europe so uses it alot, and obviously she has an interesting job so I´d love to speak to her. So, and this is the Louis Theroux bit - I just wandered around til I found the office (you have to do this here, there are no street names - seriously) and walked in and asked for her. She wasn´t there, obviously but I left a message with her assistant who was also interested in a bit of extra english in return for much coffee info. The gaul of me! Don't know what's come over me. We will have to wait and see what comes of it.

So... Will Martha Villareyna accept Rebecca's offer of English? Or will she take one look at her and dismiss her as a dirty backpacker? Find out...soon...

By the way if you´re on the list of people that gets told everytime i write something and you don't want to be - let me know. You know me, I don´t like to be a bother.

Oh, and more admin - there really is no point in sending anything by post apparantly, but if you have a burning desire to try i do have an address i can give you. There are also virtually no postcards here either - strange but true. x

2 comments:

Cath said...

As you know, my friend Della feels like a bit of Louis Theroux most days, but that's her cross to bear.

Good to hear that you've adopted the Tower Hamlets method of just turning up without an appointment and expecting to be seen. Those 3 years here were certainly not wasted were they?! A-Z - what is point?

Dull but strangely serendipitous news - yesterday a George Galloway election bus passed by the office. Much blaring of loud music, tannoyed messages and balloons. It would appear he's standing for the Greater London Assembly. No doubt the same double-decker was used for a hen party in Barking last weekend. Not sure if Jesus or Allah was on board with either group though (although obviously they are omnipresent).

MC news - the chair resigned in response to the letter from staff. Result. One down, two to go. Plus we've has another stay of execution - the consultation period has been extended until the next meeting on 1 May. So no visits to the dole office for us yet.

Take care. Cx

Cath said...

Oh and by the way, as you liked "Triangle" you might like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x047xhF7rU&feature=related