27 May 2008

The Workshop/The Capacitacion /The Taller

We had the teachers’ workshop, and everyone came, and we had coffee and biscuits, and I facilitated. I taught them Polish*, (with apologies to anyone who actually speaks the language) to show the wonder of teaching without translating, we threw balloons about, and we talked about lesson planning. And we talked about how on earth to get shy Nicaraguan students to produce language. So we’ve lots of ideas. We also decided that Nicaragua’s a great place to communicate without speaking, as they have so many symbols of their own… nose scrunch like a rabbit to say “I don't understand” to name one. So it’s even easier to teach English without speaking Spanish!

I´m terribly glad it went well. So I have had a day off today and concentrated soley on studying Spanish and thinking about the Dumball.









*We did numbers one to ten, matching words to numbers, and I got them to guess the “Who’s this?” “I don’t know.” “It’s ME!” joke to show how you can understand something from context and making stupud signals and faces.

1 comment:

sudders said...

"It's Me!"

Brillo Pad.