12 May 2008

Saturday Night in Yali

Three adult computer lessons done. All absolute beginners, all in Spanish. Maybe this is possible after all...


And this week, as well as having the first proper computer classes, we have agreed a date for a teacher training workshop with all the teachers, we have started using registers in the English classes, and Gustavo has started to observe the English lessons. It has also been agreed that we have a problem with the kids class, that they are unacceptably unruly and if it doesn’t get better the class will be cancelled. That’s quite a lot isn’t it. Due to the bus strike having no end in sight, the agreed date for the workshop is probably going to fall through – nothing yet has happened the first time I’ve planned it in this country – but the fact we’ve agreed it at all is mammoth I believe.

And Saturday night in Yali was pretty fun, despite a 4 hour power cut. I discovered another guy who has opinions on coffee selling- and he's a coffee farmer. He also works at our cooperative on the insemination project. Gilberto is his name for anyone able to absorb it...! He's taking me out to a community called Las Delicias on Tuesday as he has to check cows there, and I need a ride to try out my new "teach english one to one on the farm" idea. I hadn't discovered how fascinating he is to talk to though until he joined me and Gustavo in one of the few drinking establishments in Yali. And who needs leccy when you're a few Toña's into the evening? Especially as I got to indulge my English needs too - a volunteer on another project who's been here a while joined us too. So I'm not the only gringa in the village if you were wondering!!


No comments: