19 May 2008

We have transport!

Well, for the time being everyone's come to some sort of resolution that may or may not involve Venezuela and the buses are back. I don't know any more than that and at present I shan't be placing any more energy into finding out. So I am in Esteli with the wonderful Juanita and cosmopolitan food! And, more to the point, I went to El Regadio today to teach English to a very motivated bunch of young people who are studying three nights a week at the moment without a teacher. What a brilliant bunch. They are really willing to try out their language, a few of them are going to try to lead the others as their language is better, and I will join them when I can on Sundays to do a class and also do a workshop for the budding teachers. This is them working in groups introducing each other... they were even happy to invent names and places to make it all more interesting! "This is Ronaldo. He's from Brazil. He lives in Paris"... When you're all Nicaraguan and you all live in El Regadio the exercise can get a bit tedious...




































And as there is just the one bus there, and the one bus back per day, i was up at 5 to catch the 6 am and we had time to explore their gorgeous scenery before the 2pm bus back. They took me to a laguna that - legend has it- is above the head of a big mythical serpent, and the tail is at the other end of the pueblo. This is apparantly the reason for it never drying out... spooky. (Once again, language disclaimer - could have been entirely different) They were great story tellers and they will make cracking guides - in any language!

















And, here's a token picture of me to prove I'm here. They insisted on taking one of me on my own, so we may as well use it! You can see that I'm trying to employ the twist-your-body stance that I learnt for my brother's wedding but it didn't quite work.

Right. I'm off to find some English novels and chocolate cake. I hear tell of a place...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for that! or Venezuela, or whoever..... Enjoy the cake! Excellent pictures. Love, D.

Lisa Holdsworth said...

Hope the chocolate cake search was successful. Although, now I'm flipping craving it! Just thought you'd like to know that I am lookign after our kid's chickens whilst he's in Mexico. So far, so good. They're all alive.

Keep it up, mate. You're doing brilliant, brilliant things.

Lisax

Cath said...

Hola. You look lovely in your photo, despite having just the one leg. I'm sending Gok out there immediately to do a "How to Look Good by a Nicaraguan Lake" special!

Yet more serendipity. As I'm sat at home on the laptop in my front room, I'm wearing exactly the same brown t shirt as you are in the photo. You've gotta love M&S.
Take care. Love Cx
Ah, how your comment about the Strategic Planning Day made me laugh. Got a GLV one to attend myself on Thursday, so I'll think of you as I attempt to stay focused on a warm day in a room above a pub in Blackfriars. Do you think there will be any rum?

We're all missing you at work. I just did an end-of-year round up for the team, and it makes pretty impressive reading. I know you like a few stats, so I'll e-mail you a version later.

Take care, Cxx

Anonymous said...

Hey - wierd things happening with computer so this may appear twice! Hello, hello - good to hear transport is back, hope you found cake and impressed with photos!

Slightly worried when Luke turned up asking to borrow some wellies and a flat cap - interesting parties in Nightingale Rd!

I now have two blogs to brighten up my day at work!

Take care
J xx