22 Jul 2008

Bubblegum Biscuits and Bugs

ah. I see that a large quanitity of information and thoughts on coffee is not the way to elicit comments. Well then, how about BUBBLE GUM FLAVOURED BISCUITS?? The good people of Yali cannot rely on a regular water or electricity supply, or paved roads, but they do have 24 hours a day the possibility of, for just one cordoba, floating off to bubble gum biscuit heaven with chicle galletas. It´s odd - they taste like overly sweet biscuits, and smell like bubble gum.
















So, I´m back in Yali. The more observant will have worked that out from the banal blog. I also have success to report... I gave my computer students a test in Word before I went away, and the results have been counted and verified. If we take a pass mark as 55%, well over half of my students passed! about 65% of them. That´s alot of percentages isn´t it. Here are some more... The scores ranged from between 2% and 88% - which proved what I was hoping to prove, that some people actually are LEARNING! Hurrah. I´ve only got three weeks of teaching left, so for the computing classes it's PowerPoint fun all the way.

...If I don´t finally get eaten alive by bloody insects. That is one thing I will not miss, I itch in every place and it´s a rolling ailment, when some stop itching you just get more. However hard you try to avoid it. And, even though I seem to get found by any old buzzy flying crawling thing, it had to be Luke that got the exciting one! The coolest of them all - a nice large tick behind his knee... This is the culprit being removed by the woman we were staying with, the trick is to poke them with a hot bean and then they stop holding on to your skin.

2 comments:

sudders said...

I'm still reading!

How come you never offered me any bubble gum biscuits? Yum!

It's boring here :( I should start a blog on the things that have gone wrong with this house!

L x

Anonymous said...

I'm reading too - with great interest! It's bloody complicated though. I now spend twenty minutes stood in front of the coffee at Sainsbobs. Ah, the burden of a social conscience.

Okay, I realise that sounds about rich considering I'm whinging about doing my shopping in Sainsburys whilst you are giving your all in Nicaragua. But we all do our little bit in our own ways. I will tell you all about my new volunteering venture when you return.

Keep it up!

Lisa
xxx